Thursday, March 29, 2012

Adrift Alone

The last link I have with civilization is gone as the "Dixie" sinks from sight.  Even the red glare which has suffused the sky is slowly fading because there is nothing left to burn.  As horrifying as it appeared, it was a sign, a symbol that civilization, in some form, was nearby; but I am alone.  As far as I can see, wave after wave mounts, breaks, and falls, only to rise again - eternally going nowhere.  I had always thought the sea was green and beautiful, alive; but now it is cold and slate grey, reflecting the sky above.

I cannot row against these waves any longer, for they are becoming too high and too strong.  Perhaps if I rest, I can go on.  Yes, I feel much better, but where are my oars?  As I look frantically about me, I get a glimpse of them as they top a crest and plunge from view, leaving me truly alone, adrift on an open sea, while King Neptune rages against me.

I suppose I fell into an exhausted stupor, for I feel strangely rested and at ease.  The sea, a mossy green, is calm, and dawn is breaking with fuchsia shades underlining the splinters of gold, foretelling the warmth of the sun.  The wind has shifted and I am coming closer to land.  Now I know!  I AM adrift on an open sea, but I am NOT alone.

**written to picture my reaction to a situation similar to "The Open Boat" (an English assignment, NJC - Pannill)

July 20, 1961

copyright PG
Wisps of Wonder

No comments:

Post a Comment